The word SEO refers to Search Engine Optimization, which is the technique of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through search engine results.
It is an area of website development that seeks to improve the way the content is ranked by search engines in organic search results. Different approaches are taken to achieve that goal, which includes making sure that the website architecture makes it easy for the visitors to find relevant content and those pages are mobile-friendly and load quickly.
Types Of Search Engine Optimizations
On-page SEO which is also known as on-site SEO is the act of optimizing different parts of your website that affect your search engine rankings. It is something that you have control over and can change on your website as per your wish.
The On-page factors have to deal with the elements of your website. It includes factors such as technical set-up, the quality of your code, textual, visual content and user-friendliness of your site.
Importance of on-page SEO
On-page SEO consists of all the elements of SEO that you can control the best. If you are the owner of the website, you can control the technical issues and the quality of your content. If you create an awesome website, it will start ranking for sure. Focusing on the on-page SEO will also increase the possibility that your off-page SEO strategy will be successful. Link building with a trashy site is indeed a very tough job. Nobody wants to link to the content that is badly written or boring.
Essential on-page SEO factors
- Technical excellence – The quality of your content should be good enough. You need to check if you are not blocking crawlers from indexing your website.
- Awesome content– People visit your site more often, this is because it contains information they’re looking for. Therefore, you should write excellent content. Search engines like Google read your text and decide which site ranks highest for a large part based on the content of a website. That content should contain the right keywords, should be informative, and easy to read.
- Flawless UX– The third and final factor is the User Experience. Users need to easily understand your website and know about it. They should be able to find what they want in a fraction of second. Users should know where to click and how to navigate through your site. And it should be quick enough. A beautifully designed website is nice, but you should make it your top priority to create a user-friendly website first, because users are the main factor in this case, so they should be satisfied.
Off-page SEO refers to the activities which you can perform outside the boundaries of your website. The most important activities are-
- Link Building
- Social Media Marketing
- Brand Mentions
It focuses on increasing the authority of your domain by retrieving links from other websites. There is a score called Domain Authority that calculates how authoritative your website is as compared to other websites. The biggest off-page SEO factor is the number and the quality of backlinks to your website. It benefits the website owners by increasing the rankings and page rank.
Essential factors of Off-page SEO
- Creating awesome content so that people want to link to it because it is valuable.
- Social media shares of your content that ultimately generates links.
- Outreach e-mails to the influencers in your industry that ultimately link to you.
- Guest blogging on sites that are related to your site then these guest posts will have links back to your site.
How Do SEARCH ENGINES Work?
Search engines have three primary functions:
- Crawl: Search the Internet for content, and looking over the content for each URL they find.
- Index: Storing and organizing the content found during the crawling process. Once a page is in the index, it’s in the running and to be displayed as a result of the relevant queries.
Rank: Providing the pieces of content that will be best to answer a searcher’s query. It also means that results are ordered by most relevant to least relevant.
Search Engine Crawling
Crawling is the process in which search engines sends out a team of robots known as crawlers or spiders to find new and updated content. Content can vary as it could be a webpage, an image, a video, a PDF, etc. But regardless of the format, content is only discovered by links.
SEARCH ENGINE INDEX
Search engines process and store information they find in an index, a huge database of all the content which is discovered and deem good enough to serve up to searchers.
SEARCH ENGINE RANKING
Whenever someone performs a search, the search engines scour for its index for highly relevant content and then orders that content hoping of solving the searcher’s query. This relevance based ordering of search results is known as ranking. In simpler words, you can assume that the higher a website is ranked, the more relevant the search engine believes that site is to the query.
HOW DOES SEO WORK?
When a user searches for a word on a search engine like Google, the results that user is presented with is a series of websites that are relevant to the query and websites that have a solid domain. This is because the search engines use advanced crawlers that gather the information on every website and gathering every bit of content finds on the Internet. It creates an index for every website that is compared to the algorithms of Google which are built for the best SEO practice.
SEO may involve a site’s content, presentation, and its structure, as well as fixing the problems that could prevent search engine to index programs from fully spidering a site. Other efforts may include adding some unique content to a site by ensuring that the content is easily indexed by the search engine and making the site much more appealing for the users. Other techniques, known as black hat SEO, use methods such as link farms and keyword stuffing that tend to harm search engine user experience. Search engines look for sites that include these techniques and may remove them from their indexes. As a marketing strategy for increasing relevance of a site, Search Engine Optimization considers how search algorithms work and what people search for.